Wednesday, June 13, 2007

MUSIC: "Web memes are for little girls and housewives!!!"

Of all the bands and artists in your collection, of which one do you own the most albums?

According to Windows Media Player, it's the Beatles, followed by Tom Waits.

What was the last song you listened to?

Record Time by Steve Key, and it was the first time I've heard Mr. Key. I'm planning on looking into him in the near future.

What are your favorite instruments?

At the moment, I dig listening to Banjo, Wurlitzer and Folk/Celtic-ish Violin.

Who’s your favorite local artist/band?

Most of of my local artist experience comes from playing with them. I'll say that Paul Danard and Carey Worrod were the funnest to jam with. And of course... Zach Stockill.

What was the last show you attended?

I believe it was Stabilo/Tommy Swick/The Suits at call the Office in London. Stabilo wasn't as good as when they opened for Matt Good, and Mr. Swick was actually a very cool cat, and busted out an excellent cover of Graceland by Paul Simon.

What was the greatest show you’ve ever been to?

Reel Big Fish really knocked my socks off at the time, since it was a free show. They seemed to be having more fun than anyone else that showed up that night at the Kool Haus in Toronto, and put on an absolutely wicked show.

Other than that, Matt Good put on a few solid performances from the times I've seen him, particularly the acoustic show.

What’s the worst band you’ve ever seen in concert?

I looked after the "Homemade Jam" tent at the local Summerfolk music festival here, which consists of 70% open stage acts, so I've thankfully blocked most of those from my mind.

What band do you love musically but hate the members of?

I would never want to meet Oasis, and if I did, I wouldn't want to talk about music with any of them.

What is the most musically involved you have ever been?

This is kind of a strange question. On one hand, I've recorded little things on my own for fun and I've recorded a band or two, but I've never done anything professionally, or even semi-professionally. On the other, I've played with and for quite a few people, and would really like to do so again. I may try and get a restaurant gig doing covers around here this summer just for fun.

What show are you looking forward to?

Matthew Good's next acoustic tour. The only show I am planning on in the immediate future is Blue Rodeo in Wiarton, if I remember to get tickets soon. Should be a blast if Keelor isn't plastered this time.

What is your favorite band shirt?

Used to be my REM shirt, but it grew too many holes. At the moment it's my "Recovering the Satellites" Counting Crows shirt, but it's due for the dumpster any day now.

What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?

I would spend a day watching Ryan Adams record something. That, or have Henry Rollins be my bodyguard.

What musician would you like to be in love with you for a day?

Neko Case or Kathleen Edwards. I've got a pseudo-creepy preference for alt-country redhead chicks, from what I've been told.

What was your last musical “phase” before you wised up?

Post-Garage-Noise-Metal-Baroque. Truthfully, it would've been 1990's era alt-rock, but you can't ever really throw away what you grew up on.

Sabbath or solo Ozzy?

I don’t really know about or care for either.

What was the greatest decade for music?

This is a ridiculous question. You could easily take 20 or 30 great artists from each decade, but the problem is recognition. I only recently started listening to bands like the Pixies or the Replacements, and seven years ago I would've told you that the 1980's was a terrible time for music. Perhaps this is better saved for a later entry.

What is your favorite movie soundtrack?

I want to say "Magnolia," but those songs were mostly culled from a single Aimee Mann record, so I suppose it doesn't count. "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" is very good as well, or perhaps "I Am Sam."

Who is your favorite artist who is much better live than on a recording?

Sam Roberts.

Do you have a hidden desire to be a popular musician?

It'd be kinda cool, but financially it is not feasable. I already have a hard enough time dealing with fame and notoriety as it is. (You think I'm famous, right?)

Have you ever used drugs to enhance the music experience?

No, but alcohol has been an interesting thing to have present while music is on.

1 comment:

Steve Key said...

Thanks for mentioning me and my song. Just wondering -- how did you find us?

Steve Key, Pismo Beach CA
www.stevekey.com