Saturday, June 16, 2007

MUSIC: Because blogger originality is overrated...

Of all the bands and artists in your collection, of which one do you own the most albums?

My big three at the moment are the Beatles, Tom Waits, and Van Morrison. Honourable mentions to Paul Simon, the Stones, Ryan Adams, and the Kinks.

What was the last song you listened to?

A live boot of "I Taught Myself to Grow Old" by Ryan Adams. Easily my most anticipated album of the year.

What are your favorite instruments?

I really dig my Epiphone 6-string acoustic. It's got a big sound, and it looks like something Van or Ryan, or even Hank would pick up.

Who’s your favorite local artist/band?

Thanks for the mention, Trav, and I'm honoured. Right backatcha. I'm in Ottawa right now, so I'll say I really dig Kathleen Edwards. One of my guitar-heroes was born here as well (Bruce Cockburn).

What was the last show you attended?

It's been far too long. Might be Matt Mays back in January. Sweet Jesus. I've got butterflies for seeing Van Morrison next month, so that might help make up for it.

What was the greatest show you’ve ever been to?

Dylan last November hands down. I don't care what anyone says, he's always reinventing himself and messing around with his standards, and that's really cool to me.

What’s the worst band you’ve ever seen in concert?

I had an unfortunate experience with My Chemical Toilet at Warped one year. *Chills.

What band do you love musically but hate the members of?

Hmmm.... Broken Social Scene, and a lot of the T.O. Arts & Crafts scene have mad talent, but have always seemed a bit pretentious and snobbish. I wouldn't use the word 'hate' though. In the end, we're all just trying to make sounds.

What is the most musically involved you have ever been?

Agreed on the "strange question" remark. I would say the creative process, and musical opportunity for me right now is at an all-time high productivity wise, but that's not to say that somehow when I wasn't writing anything or playing at all I was "uninvolved."

What show are you looking forward to?

Easily Van in July. I'm also really stoked about seeing the White Stripes, Randy Newman, and George Thorogood with my parents. (!)

What is your favorite band shirt?

I really dig my Neil Young "After the Goldrush" shirt, as well as my Sufjan Stevens shirt.

What musician would you like to hang out with for a day?

Lennon during his drunk phase would be fun, but Ryan would also be on my list. I'd love to hang out with Van and Paul Simon, or Jesus (he played bass, right?).

What musician would you like to be in love with you for a day?

Joni Mitchell, circa 1970. I'm not saying it would be easy, but I'm pretty fucked up so she might get another "Blue" out of it.

What was your last musical “phase” before you wised up?

Hmmm... "wised up?" Let's see... I listened to some Korn in Grade 8.

Sabbath or solo Ozzy?

Now and again I get a taste for early Sabbath.

What was the greatest decade for music?

Jazz wise, the 1950's. Everything else it's pretty close between the 60's and 70's. But there are a lot of great records being made today, so I just might be completely full of shit.

What is your favorite movie soundtrack?

I immediately think of the Royal Tenenbaums, as well as any Wes Andersen film, but Forrest Gump is also right up there.

Who is your favorite artist who is much better live than on a recording?

Although I've never seen them, I'd take Counting Crows live over the studio any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Do you have a hidden desire to be a popular musician?

It's no secret.

Have you ever used drugs to enhance the music experience?

Yes. A little grass and a lot of Miles go a long way.

No comments: